Whether you are a ‘Star Trek’ fan or not you may want to celebrate the franchises 50th anniversary with the newest rebooted installment ‘Star Trek Beyond.’ While the film is a great date night movie for mom and dad, I wouldn’t throw away the idea of taking your little ones especially if you feel they are old enough for action films. Growing up I wasn’t the biggest ‘Star Trek’ fan but my dad was so I saw more than a few episodes and the one thing I always liked about the franchise was the underlying importance of family and home, which is a through-line in the newest film. Here are 5 reasons why you should not miss ‘Star Trek Beyond.’
- If you are thinking about passing on the film because you haven’t seen the first two rebooted films, you will be missing out on a great film. While there may be a few jokes you aren’t in on, they are not happening often enough for you to feel left out. I hadn’t watched ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ and I wasn’t lost at all, they gave you enough within the story and script so that you knew what was going on during the entire film.
- The action sequences are amazing. Director Justin Lin best known for his work on the Fast & Furious franchise stepped up the world of Star Trek and gave it an adrenaline boost and then added some steroids. The film is action packed, intense and exciting, it takes you on a thrill ride of fun.
- If you are a fan of Star Trek, this may quickly become your favorite of the rebooted series. Not only is there a beautiful tribute to Leonard Nimoy but they also show the original ‘Star Trek’ crew which each pack an emotional punch for viewers and long time fans. I also think that of all the rebooted films, they were able to bring the heart and soul of the originals to this film within the story that felt organic and also needed.
- The chemistry in this cast is phenomenal and shows in every scene. There are beautiful moments and hilarious ones and it is all balanced by a well-written story. You get to see characters shine both alone and together and each is humanized in a way that makes them relatable and likable. It also has the most interesting villain I have seen in some time.
- Newest cast member Sofia Boutella, best known for her role in ‘Kingsman: Secret Service’ steals every scene she is in and for me was by far the best part of the movie. She shares most of her scenes with Simon Pegg and I hope that they continue her story as a possible love interest for his character because their chemistry is amazing. Her character Jaylah is the perfect balance of kick-ass and kindhearted.
While I have to admit that I am usually not the biggest ‘Star Trek’ fan in the universe I will say that ‘Star Trek Beyond’ has turned me into a believer. As far as a summer blockbuster, this is exactly what I am looking for, a great story, complex characters, exciting action and a ton of fun. What’s most enjoyable is that beyond the fun and excitement is a beautiful story about learning who you are and the importance of home and family. If you can do all that in one film, I’d say it’s a win. It is also by far the most emotional film because of it’s double tribute, the first for Leonard Nimoy and the second a screen that read simply “For Anton” for the tragic loss of Anton Yelchin, a moment that left goosebumps. ‘Star Trek Beyond’ opens up in theatres everywhere today and you won’t want to miss it.
See you at the movies,